Four new Astell autoclaves have been installed in the new state-of-the art laboratories at the University of Lincoln. The Joseph Banks Laboratories, adapted from an existing industrial building, welcomed around 1,300 students and staff at the start of the 2014/15 academic year.
The facility is named in honour of the Lincolnshire botanist Sir Joseph Banks (1743-1820), who sailed with Captain James Cook on HMS Endeavour and became President of The Royal Society. The Laboratories form the centrepiece of the Lincoln Science and Innovation Park, a visionary partnership between the University of Lincoln and Lincolnshire Co-op. The building houses specialist laboratories and research facilities for work in molecular biology, microbiology, tissue biology, bioacoustics and ancient DNA analysis, chemistry and medicinal chemistry, pharmacology and medicinal pharmacy.
The Astell autoclaves now being used in these laboratories are all top-loading 135 litre models with cooling systems and load-sensing systems. The units are integral to the smooth running of this prestigious new research and teaching facility, being regularly required for the sterilization of culture media and glassware, and the decontamination of laboratory waste before disposal.
The autoclaves are fitted with Astell’s Logi Control system which provides the precision, accuracy and flexibility that are essential in today’s most demanding laboratories and centres of sterilization. Standard features of this system include multi-level PIN code access, data archiving, and integral fault diagnosis.
For more information on the models featured in this article, please click here.
Pictured: The Joseph Banks Laboratories, University of Lincoln.
All images used remain the property of the University of Lincoln.